Monday, May 30, 2011

Fabulous Fish-ees

As I wrap up the last of my ceramic fish, I thought I would share some of my favorites. We spent three 45 min classes to create these and an additional 2 classes to complete the glazing after the bisque firing -

First class: learning about clay, how to manage clay dust, table set-up for clay and the technique used to 'pinch' the fish body & tail

Second class: learning how to 'score, slip & press' essential parts (dorsal & pectoral fins, eyes) to the basic form.

Third class: Elaboration!!! (tongue, teeth, texture, etc.)

I love the pattern on this one - very thoughtful choices.


The flirty wave this fish is giving - What a delight!


Have you ever seen a spoiler on a fish before?


Bows were contagious with some of the girls.



This one I call 'four eyes' for obvious reasons.


Here's Fang:


Great elaboration here!


Note: Fish were built with Laguna buff clay and color was added with Amaco underglazes and clear glaze.

2 comments:

  1. They're fabulous! We did the same exact thing. Ours will be ready to go in the kiln Monday but we're painting with acrylic because I don't have any underglazes just regular glaze which runs and no time left!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are really sweet, Nancie. I may have to try those to replace my clay frogs. jan

    ReplyDelete

More Elementary Art Blogs