Saturday, April 16, 2011

Vaseline is a Good Friend of Mine

As I was frantically trying to complete my glazing on Friday for a weekend firing, I made sure to get out my trusty jar of petroleum jelly!

I learned years ago to coat the inside of any lid that would need to be opened and reopened with a dollop of pj.

I use it on my glaze jars and also my student glue bottles which I have to refill several times a year.


I never got the hang of using Elmer's glue bottles - those orange twist applicators always became clogged or jammed for me. I use refillable 6 oz. clear plastic bottles and teach the kids how to use a push pin to open a clogged nozzle (vs. the scissors or pencil that they prefer to use...).


For my younger kids (K-2), I use a separate set of bottles and replace the nozzle cap with the tap n glue lid.


It's great when only a small amount of glue is needed. You'll need to teach them how to press down while moving the bottle to release the glue because otherwise they will s-q-u-e-e-z-e with all their strength and nothing will come out!! It's a great way to save on glue...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips! I would never had thought to use PJ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea about putting the glue into the squeeze bottles! Why didn't we all think of that!?

    ReplyDelete

More Elementary Art Blogs