Sunday, May 16, 2010

Invisibility Cloak

That old saying ‘Out of sight, out of mind’ is so true in my classroom. I can have the most fragile greenware pieces on a table right next to a group of energetic kinder kids but if it’s covered, they don’t bother it! If it was out in the open, it would be in pieces in no time at all.

This past week I had several things going at the same time (sound familiar?) & needed to use some counter and table space for storage at the same time another class (different media/setup) was going on. In one case, I had coil pots out on a table that needed a final ‘dip’ before moving into the kiln room. The incoming 2nd grade class was working on their God’s Eye weavings and was not known for their calm demeanor (if you know what I mean…) so this was a perfect time to get out the ‘Invisibility Cloak’!

The ‘cloak’ can vary depending on whatever is handy. In this case I just used the tablecloth protecting the table from spills. Since the plastic bread tray holding the pots only took up half the table, I just folded the other half up and over the tray. Presto change-o… Invisible!

Other times, it may be just a length of fabric. Last week we had a morning of professional development classes and another teacher was using my room for a presentation. Since my counters have the appearance of chaos most every school day, I took out 2 long yardages of fabric & laid them over the multitude of projects & boxes of stuff cluttering the counters and…Ta Dah! Invisible!

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Elementary Art Blogs