Saturday, October 22, 2011

AAEA '11 Conference: Mask Making

The first workshop I attended last Friday was Mask Making Across the Continents. We created 2 masks - both of which were brand new to me!


The first was an Incan mask using a disposable foil baking/roasting pan, small tagboard templates for add ons & mask shape, along with Sharpie markers (gold & yellow). These are the pieces I traced & cut out of the pan...


Tools used included paper punch, various paper crimpers, Unruly Rulers, paper clips, scissors, stylus (used-up ball point pens) and plastic texture sheets. Color was added to the pieces before texturizing.


I'd never seen or used Unruly Rulers before (seen on lower left hand corner of pix below) - they were very useful in adding embossed shapes for eyebrows or any of the other small details...


Paper punches were used to make holes for earrings and any other dangling shapes you wanted. The pieces were attached with paper clips...


The eyes, nose, mouth and other non-dangly stuff was attached by with a stapler. Here are some of the other finished results:



Lesson plans will be posted on our http://www.azaea.org/lesson-plans/2011-pinetop-rocks soon. I'll blog about the other mask in a day or so...

2 comments:

  1. Cute and clever. BUT - we art teachers, even ones like me that have fair budgets, are always spending our own money for materials. I'm picturing a trip to the dollar store, where maybe foil pans are in a pack of two. Even if you only have 40 kids doing this project, you'll have spent $20 before you start. And then there's the crimpers, the fancy ruler things, etc.

    Unfortunately, so many cool ideas that I see at conferences, especially ones taught by the distributors, require either expensive art materials or out-of-pocket expenses.

    Unless of course you know of a less expensive way to get these pans? Then of course this project could be REALLY cool. The kids would love the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it could end up costing a bit but I have rolls of aluminum tooling that I can use, leftover from previous projects and available through my district warehouse as part of my regular budget. I can use empty ball point pens, dull pencils or the end of a paint brush as a stylus. I have a box full of texture sheets - otherwise known as woven wood samples, a variety of plastic textured placemats, burlap pieces - all of which can be used for texturizing.

    As a backup plan, I can dip into my cash fund - money generated from sales of supplies for kumihimo braided bracelets that the kids buy for .25 - I usually generate $20 - $40 for emergency supplies.

    Another option (which I have yet to do...) is to post a supply list on DonorsChoose.org & a blurb about how they would be used in my classroom. Then all those expensive fun tools would be ours for many years & many projects to come...

    We're such creative folk that I have no doubt we can come up w/cheap or free stuff to make our own creations look as good as those made with all the expensive tools!

    ReplyDelete

More Elementary Art Blogs