Monday, March 14, 2011

4th Grade Dragons


On Spring Break here (or as I like to call it - Woo Hoo Week) so of course I had to spend the first day working in my room. Sorting through stacks of graded work for examples that can go in our Spring Art Show, shoveling out *stuff* from the storeroom, going through new 'donations' from a teacher leaving at the end of the year and cutting up cardboard boxes for braiding looms.

I thought you might like to see pix of ceramic dragon rattles we made in 4th grade a few years ago...


These artworks were kept for an end-of-year exhibit that somehow did not get back to their owners. I keep them in a glass display case until they're claimed...


We made the base for these by connecting 2 pinch pots with a few clay beads inside for the 'rattle'. After viewing many examples of dragons from China and other cultures, we added legs, tail, neck & head. Some students went further with wings, spiked tails and multiple heads...


Last step in formation was adding a variety of textures. Color was added with watercolor after the bisque firing. I encouraged pattern when painting to 'jazz it up'!




This year, my 4th graders are creating Storytellers (pictures in few weeks) but I may go back to dragons next year - they always have such great personalities!

2 comments:

  1. This is when I wish I had "real" clay (I have only air-dry as I have no kiln). These dragons are sweet, and the fact that they are rattles is a wonderful bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dragons came out looking really good.
    I love the texture and colors.

    My school does not have a kiln either :( and so when I insist in using clay I just let it air dry.
    Of course I always find broken pieces the next day.

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

More Elementary Art Blogs