Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Game of Line

Tried something new this year to help my littlest ones retain the names of the 4 basic types of line. Last class we did the outdoor water painting so we needed a refresher since that was a whole WEEK ago...


I had a shoebox full of these business card-size pieces of printed tagboard. Another great find at Treasures 4 Teachers. So anyway...I drew 5 examples of straight, curve, angle and broken lines - I have 4 kids at each table so wanted one extra. I did 7 sets - a different color of marker for each set, 1 set per table.


First, the students lay out the cards face up in the middle of the table. I review on the board and then have the kids sort the cards into the 4 groups.



Next, mix the cards up again. Now I ask each student to hold up one card of the type I mention. I count to 10 slowly and each table where everyone is holding up the correct card gets a point. After doing each type of line, the group(s) with 4 points get to 'kiss' their brains (kiss your fingertips, touch the top of your head). They thought that was great. Some classes played the game twice - they really liked it and if they didn't do so well the first time they did much better the second time around. Of course you can vary directions to suit your audience...

3 comments:

  1. Great review activity! I'm always looking for fun activities to review concepts with my kids. Thanks for the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome way to teach students about lines.
    I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to have 'filler' activities that are meaningful. Love the "kiss your brains" idea too :) I've just started a blog at Dream Painters and would love you to visit!

    ReplyDelete

More Elementary Art Blogs