Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Ready, Aim, Focus!


With some of my classes, I've found that counting up helps my students focus on what they need to do during transition times...

For example, at the start of class, while I'm taking attendance, my reminders are "I see 2 tables have their jackets put away and placecards out. I have 3, 4, 5 groups ready..."

"I see 2 tables are quiet and ready to start. I see 3, 4 tables are now ready. I see every table is ready now."

At the end of production time, I announce that my table helpers need to meet me at the sink for cleanup directions. I start a familiar litany, "I have 1 helper listening. I have 2, 3 helpers listening. I have 5 helpers listening and 1 helper sleeping. (Insert classwide laugh & snicker here) Now, I have all 6 helpers ready - thank you helpers!" Then I can proceed with directions.

Do you have similar techniques/tricks to help your students' focus during transition times? Please share...

3 comments:

  1. HI, Nancy. I got your comment on my blog that yo are interested in an online art teacher's conference. Great!Please write to me at byalof@harcum.edu and let me know if you'd like to consider being a presenter or an attendee. This is a great opportunity to hear from art teachers. Anyone interested please go to my blog and let us know what you'd like to see covered!www.barbsstudents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need help with this. I had one of those "considering leaving the profession" kind of days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can I help? Drop me a line!
    Just so you know, even those of us with a 1000 and one tricks have bad days too...In fact I had one with my last class yesterday (2nd) and again this am with a 5th grade. We just keep plugging away & enjoy when it works the way it's supposed to!

    ReplyDelete

More Elementary Art Blogs