Thursday, February 17, 2011

3 + 1 = :)

Years ago, I posted this formula high on the wall of my room as a reminder to my student teacher...


It was a visual reminder that every time things went south in the noise and/or behavior department during class, the teacher should give 3 positive comments before a corrective comment which would make for a happier teacher and a quieter, more productive environment for the kids...

"I see Juan is working quietly."

"I like how table 3 has their heads down and eyes on their work."

"I appreciate how well table 6 is sharing materials with each other."

"Karen - you need to keep your hands and feet to yourself."

Often, you don't need the correction because most straighten up when they realize you're handing out compliments & they LOVE to hear their name attached to a positive remark...

Try it & let me know if it works for you OR share a favorite technique of yours...

PS. A side benefit is it keeps the kids guessing trying to figure out the equation (I usually don't share my secrets or tricks of the trade with them). My gifted kids came up with some very unique explanations which were as creative as they were wrong....

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this reminder! I may post this in my room next week. I made sure to compliment last week. I had almost forgotten how well compliments work.

    ReplyDelete

More Elementary Art Blogs